Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Summer Movies

So far this Summer has seen some of it's blockbuster movies live up to expectations, a nice change from the frequent disappointments.

I've seen Star Wars: Episode III, Batman Begins and War of the Worlds. All 3 have met my expectations or exceeded.

Star Wars had great special effects and fight scenes and some really shitty dialogue and character direction. It was better than Ep. I & II, so it fell right in line with what I envisioned. Lucas had to finish this one on a higher note or it would have tainted the franchise.

Batman Begins was better than I expected. It had a cast that worked quite well for the most part. They played this one seriously, no camp like the others. Batman in this one was out to scare the shit out of the criminals. I liked how they took some time in developing who Bruce Wayne was and how he came to this point. Well done, look forward to more.

War of the Worlds was my latest. Spielberg did a great job with this one. Granted there are some cliche's in this one that I've skewered before, but that gets lost a bit when the action is going. Spielberg uses his bags of tricks of sound, lighting and pace to create some good tense moments. When things are not blowing apart, he does a nice job of making you feel the dread drowning the characters.

I have often commented that this Summer didn't have a lot of "big" movies this year. In this case though I will take quality over quantity every time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home