Thursday, July 14, 2005

New York W(h)ine

New York has changed an out of date, out of touch law dealing with the sale of wine. I really don't care as I don't drink wine, but a couple of items in the article caught my attention. First, from Gov. George Pataki:

"I have no doubt that the Finger Lakes can certainly match, maybe even surpass" California's famed Napa Valley someday,

And I have no doubt you are a typical dickhead politician that spouts off bullshit. Come on George, I'm not buying it and I doubt many others are. In terms of quality I can't speak towards but for production quantity.. you've got a ways to go baby. California accounted for 67% of all wine sales to the States, foreign took almost the rest. All other States accounted for 7%. Shoot for the stars, as usual though the politicos won't be there when the hard work is needed.

The second self serving part was this gem

Serving as a buffer between producers and the public, the politically powerful wholesalers collect billions of dollars in excise taxes each year. Looser controls on wine, they argued, could lighten state tax coffers and potentially pump up underage drinking.

Well, if the bottlers use the same tax I'm thinking they will end up with same amount. The true wonder is the beautifully ridiculous statement that it could have an effect on underage drinking. Yes, I remember the halcyon days of my youth when our parents were gone and we got our older friends to make a Zinfadel run for us. Dipshits. Maybe if you categorize Boone's Farm as wine you might have a 0.005% increase.

So, now all you winos out there can now have the NY wines shipped directly to you.. and I'll go down to BevMo and get my Bacardi Limon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home