Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Colin Meloy

If anyone wants to see a very cozy show in LA, go to the Hotel Cafe and get there early to be one of the first in line, it's well worth it to be sitting up front in an area scarcely larger than the average family room. I struck out by about 6 people on Monday, got there late and sold out. Tuesday got there early and it worked, got a spot at one of the front tables with some cool people I met in line. I had barely heard any Decemberists let alone seen them so I was going in fairly cold. I have to say that I can't think of another act that borrows more from 19th century than Colin and the Decemberists. Colin has this very unique delivery and his pronunciation of certain words, while "different" works. His snese of humor and everyman approach makes a show like this a real treat. His voice is somewhat nasally, but it has a strength to it. Many of the songs and their subject matter could sound like either a joke or a serious downer, but somehow Colin manages to tread somewhere in between. Overall, I don't think I would buy a wide variety of Decemberist songs, but based on Colin's solo performance I look forward to seeing the entire band in March.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home