Thursday, December 16, 2004

Holiday

One of the best way I get into holiday spirit is with Christmas music (unless you work retail and have the same tape looping endlessley). What music says holidays to me?

Johnny Mathis - As far as I know, he doesn't sing anything but Christmas tunes and a damn fine job he does at that.

Burl Ives - He even did voice over for classic CHristmas shows and he just always reminded me of Santa Claus as a kid.

Mitch Miller - Cheesy as all get out, but I love it for nostalgia reasons. Sing Along With Mitch takes me back to when I was 5 years old, all the family was together and I was putting out cookies for Santa.

Big Crosby - Anything is great, but Do You Hear What I Hear is amazing

Nat King Cole - No one does The Christmas Song any better.. his signature holiday song

Those are some of my standards. Not sure why, but there does not seem to be many new holiday songs that seem to stick. Besides Do They Know it's Christmas? and Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer, I can't think of any original "Christmas" songs from last 20 odd years that gets a fair amout of airplay. And let's face it.. those are both gimmick songs.

U2's version of Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) is great, as is Travis' version of River. Barenaked Ladies' Xmas Time I enjoy as well. Feel free to add in some other recommended songs of a more modern tilt

If you are looking for funny Christmas tunes, then look no further than Christmas Time For My Penis by the Vandals, Santa's Coming by Hoobastank or Twas the Night Before Christmas with Snoop Dog & Nate Dog. There are many others but those are the best of the irreverent, Non-kid friendly songs

Well, that's it for now... I will add in some stuff before Christmas.. till then

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home