Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Music For Me

I've always enjoyed music. It's always accompanied me through life, and whenever I hear a song I am familiar with I instantly associate it with something in my life. But what I have missed out on up to very recently, is looking beyond the usual radio play list for music.

My musical tastes have varied widely: I've focused on Heavy Metal, Alternative, Top 40 Pop, New Age and world music. Alternative has been my mainstay. Listening to KROQ during the 80's and 90's I never felt I was missing out on much, they played songs I loved, and most of my friends had the same mindset on music. Then came the increase in programming and the musical tastes changed to crap I didn't care for, so I was stuck with old music, sicne I didn't find much new I liked. I stayed stuck in that rut until I came back to an old favorite, REM and expanded my interest in them.

This led me to Murmurs and to a whole hell of a lot of people who actively sought out interesting new bands. As my involvement with the fan community grew, my interest in new music grew. Derek recommended some bands to check out and some were good, then I met Rachel who has a huge music library and she gave me even more great examples. Now, I have so many choices it is overwhelming! (...Speaking of being overwhelmed, Gerald, apparently part Korean, part Eskimo has cranked the heater up again, I am just wearing shorts and I am damn near sweating... not to mention I have 3 times erased 400 instances of "e" that have scrolled across my screen as I dozed hitting it)

The new music choices are a saviour. I now have so many other sounds I can turn to that suits my mood. Living by LA, there are a ton of these same bands I can go enjoy first hand too. Music has definitely taken over as my #1 interest and hobby. This is all the better since music can bring such a visceral response that I can continue to enjoy over and over. As I step out and live life more fully, seeking new music has become a welcome addition and companion to my life now, which although not complete, is a lot fuller.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home