Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Anime... someone stop the insanity

I have watched some anime.. and I have to admit there has been some good stuff, quality animation and interesting story. The majority, however, is complete shit. I have never seen a format so obsessed with the same damn themes.

Some powerful alien/ancient being/Pissed off Earth Mother/Giant robot etc is threatening to thump the populace and their lives are in the hands of some adolescents. Of course they overcome their obstacles and save the day. Now if it was real life...Congratulations Neo Tokyo.. you are fucked. I guess that they market most of these shows to adolescents so that explains many of the protagonists Teens, but it's way too overboard. Anyone else out there feel that giving a 15 year old the power of the stars is a really bad idea. They have enough trouble handling a car. You remember how much drama teen years were... I'm waiting to see the anime where the main character gets dumped by their boyfriend/girlfriend and then blasts the living shit out of Hokkaido while screaming "You don't understand me" That would be more like it. Oh, and they seem to really be into girls as the main protagonist in school uniforms, which is not exactly a surpirse since it seems to be a national fetish.

The other thing that pisses me off about a lot of anime is the typically over the top voice acting and portrayal of the characters, it's just in much of the style, but I don't get it.. just like Mexican TV shows I guess. I would have to be drunk, have someone drop a nude playmate on my lap then take her away and then kill my dog to go through the extremes they have their characters go through in 5 minutes. Every other response is exaggerated and then let's not forget the 20 minute monologues they have regarding their relationship to the opponent while waiting for their enemy to perform the Purple Flying Dragon with a half twist kick

I could probably go on, for much longer.. For some decent one's Ghost in The Shell, and Cowboy Bebop are decent quality and don't follow the same conventions as slavishly. I don't consider Miyazaki's movies like Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke to be anime, both movies, especially Spirited Away are very well crafted. Adieu for now

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home