Monday, December 20, 2004

Dad & Christmas Don't Mix

So, I called up my Dad to check on a present I was thinking about for my Step Mom, Kim.

Me: Hey, does Kim have Rod Stewart's third standards album, I know she has the other two.

Dad: I don't think so, let me check.. (away from phone) Do you have the third Rod Stewart album.... (back to me) No, she doesn't

Me: Did you just ask Kim?

Dad: Yes

Me: What the hell did you do that for, you aren't supposed to ask her!

Dad: (chuckling) Well, if you weren't sure, what if you gave it to her and she had it already. Oh, get it anyways.. I'll give it to her from the animals

Me: Jesus, she could have returned it, at least it would have been a surprise.. (Dad chcukles some more) I ought to kick you in the ass, hell with the animals I need something extra to give her....


I love Dad, but if you want to keep the Holidays and in general any special event going smoothly, just tell him exactly what you need then let him off the hook for the rest of it. That's why I generally come down and help my Step Mom for our family get togethers.

Though we are alike in some ways we are so different in others, this is one of those times where he's travelling one direction and I'm going the other way in thouht process. We get along great, we give each other hell all the time but it's all in good fun.

2 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story! I laughed out loud. Knowing you and your Dad, it was easy to imagine the conversation.

At least your Dad converses on the phone, however. My Dad has this mental block when it comes to the phone (and living in a different state, it's the only way I get to talk to him regularly). It's like he's watching TV or something, and he's distracted all the time. He's answering questions that I asked 5 minutes ago. We end uf falling back on the stock toics like the weather and sports. And when he does get on a roll and actually starts stringing sentences together, I don't have the heart to tell him that I already read that sports story online or that Mom told me the same story 10 minutes ago when I first called... Ah, parents. Wonder what my kids will blog about me in a few years!

 
At 11:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL :D Dad's can be funny sometimes; a friend told me she cared for her parents' kitties while the parents were on vacation. Sadly, one of the kitties died during that time. As my friend knew her mom was crazy about the kitties, she called her Dad and said: "Hello Dad, if mom's around, please only say YES or NO. Have you heard me?"

Dad: "Yes. Ok. What happened?!"

My friend: " Listen, one of the cats died. do you want me to bury it next to the other?"

Her Dad: "What? Which kitty died?"

*in the background sudden loud crying noise*

ROLLEYES!

Merry Christmas from Germany :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home