Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Fashion Sense

Some things to know about fashion.

In Los Angeles you do not wear shorts to an indoor gig, with the possible exceptions of Reggae or beach locale venue. I do at local venues at times, but if I venture into the Westside or Hollywood I bow to pressure. It is important to make sure you get it right though. You need to approach the look as either beach bum style or casual suburbanite. I opt for the latter. You need to stay away from black tennis shoes, jean shorts, t-shirts with sports logos or sleeveless shirts. This says "I need to keep cool while cooking up meth in my hidden lab in the 909" Not a good look

Being too slavish to fashion can lead to some unfortunate looks. I saw two girls decked out in all black and both had knit caps on. This would be fine except it was 2 weeks ago and it was 90 degrees out. You just look stupid. Same goes for the moron at the show I was at last night who had on the knit cap that came down over the ears. You're not at a music festival in Aspen in March you dickhead, it's LA in July. Since when does a ski cap double as a fashion accessory here. Apparently since hipsters want to make a statement only recognized by them.

And please ladies, for the love of God, Allah, Buddha, Mom and Apple Pie, if you have a gut don't wear open middrift tops. The woman I saw in Vegas was a key example. If your stomach is lapping over your metal studded belt.. hide it. I mention ladies since most men don't go open middrift, and in general it's not good unless you are marching in the Gay Pride parade.

The same goes for wearing tight clothes. As I say, I'm heavy, but I don't shrinkwrap my fat ass. Tight tops on fit people can look good. If your form fitting shirts effect is to separate the rolls then it's not sexy, it just turns you into a variation of the Michelin Man.

So, wear what you want to wear, but feel free to look in a mirror and check in with your common sense.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home