Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Summer Movie Preview

This is looking like a light Summer in terms of blockbusters. Hopefully there will be the usual surprise or two that will do well because they are actually pretty decent. So here is my take on some of the upcoming movies. Skip to part two if you want to just read me bitching about movies I have not seen.

The Movies I will probably see:


Iron Man 2: I'm crossing my fingers that they don't screw this up. I really enjoyed the first one. This one has one element that worries me as they were a failing of other Superhero movies, a lot of comic book characters. In this case, Black Widow, Whiplash, Justin Hammer and War Machine will hopefully be tied together effectively. As opposed to X-Men 3 which tried to tie in TWO seminal story lines together and failed miserably.

Robin Hood: Russel Crowe has the disctinction of being the beefiest Robin Hood that I can think of. Apparently the deer hunting in Sherwood Forest is pretty good. This story has been done so many times I am really curious to see if they actually have a different take on the story or if they go for the retread and figure most people have forgotten Kevin Costner as Robin of Locksley (Park, New York). Hopefully Ridley Scott has something up his sleeve.

Shrek Forever After: I liked the first two Shrek but I thought the last one was really laboring. It just wasn't that funny. How will this one be, who knows but I will go see it unless maybe it gets beat to shit on Rotten Tomatoes. Looking at the new poster though I see the DreamWorks face is alive and well

Toy Story 3: There is no one and I mean no one who I have more confidence in than the people at Pixar. Being the greedy bastard that I am I would have rather seen a brand new story but I'm sure this will be a winner regardless.

Inception: I am automatically interested in anything directed by Christopher Nolan so I must read more about this flick with DiCaprio.

The Movies I will definitely not see:


Sex and The City 2: Fuck this movie. Do I want to watch a bunch of self absorbed washed up cougars? No, there are all kinds of bars around where I could do that. And don't even try to call me on being sexist, ageist or whatever. I've known plenty of older women who are sexy and don't act like them. Their personalities are grating by different degrees.

The A-Team: A is for Assholes, as in the Assholes who greenlit a movie to be made about a complete piece of shit TV show from the 80's. A is for Aggravation as in the Aggravation I will feel when way too many people will go see it. A is for Amazed, as in I will be thoroughly Amazed if this movies doesn't blow donkey.

Eat Pray Love: New Age Bullshit

I could bring up Piranha 3D but that would be like shooting fish in a barrel. Slow moving, deformed fish in a small barrel. Good to see Elisabeth Shue's career is going well. That's it for now

2 Comments:

At 2:40 AM, Blogger Lydia said...

The power of advertising works so well on me; I didn't even know a new Shrek film was coming. I'd like it to be as great as the first one, but may wait for this on DVD unless you rave about it. Have you seen the Dreamworks film with the dragon? I'm wondering if that's any good.

I think Russell Crowe looks great in the previews and seems like he lost a lot of weight since State of Play. The film seems to me to have a very different feel to it from the Costner one, which is a great thing. I digress, but the best thing about that was Alan Rickman's camp Sheriff of Nottingham. Anyway, I'm optimistic about Robin Hood.

You know I could go on and on about films, but will just say that I'm very excited about Iron Man 2, hopeful for Toy Story 3 and curious about Inception. I will see Sex and the City 2. You lose 100 gay points for not wanting to. And FYI, there was only ever one cougar in the show, but you're right about the self-absorbed part.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Steve said...

How To Train Your Dragon was entertaining I think you would like it. Sorry but my Gay Straightness is overcome by their annoying personalities.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home